Two Women Call. Who Will You Follow?
Verse: Proverbs 9:1–9:18
I. Four introductory questions:
1. What is wisdom literature?
2. What is a proverb?
3. Who wrote the Book of Proverbs?
4. Who was Proverbs written for?
II. The Key to this Book (9)
1. Will you be wise, or will you scoff? (9:7-12)
2. Lady Wisdom invites you to life (9:1-6)
3. Madam Folly invites you to death (9:13-18)
An Outline of Proverbs
Section One: The reason to heed the Proverbs
1:8-8:36 “Hear, my son, your father’s instruction:”
Ten appeals to listen to Wisdom
1. Listen to Wisdom, not your friends, if you want to prosper in life (1:8-33)
2. Seek Wisdom and you will find good and avoid evil (2:1-22)
3. Remember Wisdom and she will lead you to life (3:1-35)
4. Do not forget what Grandpa David said: Wisdom will honour you (4:1-9)
5. Stay on the path of Wisdom to avoid the wicked and their snares (4:10-19)
6. Know Wisdom and know your heart (4:20-27)
7. Pay attention to Wisdom so you don’t lose your honour (5:1-23)
8. Let Wisdom keep you from entrapment, poverty, calamity and judgement (6:1-19)
9. Let Wisdom, not your urges, lead you (6:20-35)
10. Befriend Wisdom and you will live (7:1-8:36)
9:1-18 Which path will you choose, the way of Lady Wisdom or the way of Madam Folly?
Section Two: The Proverbs
10:1-22:16 Volume I of Solomon’s Proverbs
22:17-24:34 The 30 Sayings and the Collected Sayings of the wise
25-29 Volume II of Solomon’s Proverbs
(collected by Hezekiah’s men about 250 years after Solomon’s death)
30 The Oracle of Agur son of Jakeh
31 The Oracle of King Lemuel