(1) God Wants You to be Happy
God Wants You to be Happy: Why the best news may be the hardest news to believe and live
I. God made mankind to be happy
a. God is fundamentally happy in himself (Acts 17:24-25 / John 17:24)
b. This complete and happy God made humans alone in His image and likeness: happy in God (Genesis 1:26-31 / Genesis 2:15-17 / Genesis 2:18-25)
2. The essence of the first temptation was to accuse God of withholding happiness from mankind.
a. God’s revelation is questioned (Genesis 3:1-5)
b. Sin, at its root, is a reach for happiness away from God (Genesis 3:6-7)
3. Salvation is the first step in drawing us back to enjoying God (being happy in God)
a. We are born slaves to sin (Ephesians 2:1-3)
b. God saves out of our slavery (Exodus 14:10-14)
c. Redeemed slaves are still tempted to look for happiness outside of God (Exodus 15:22-24/ Exodus 16:1-3 / Exodus 17:1-4 / Exodus 32:3-6)
4. The purpose of the Christian life is to increase our commitment to our personal happiness in God.
(John 6:33 / John 4:14 / John 5:40 / John 10:10
“O greedy man, what will satisfy you if God will not?” -Augustine
Psalm 36:7-9 / Psalm 27:4 / Psalm 34:8 / Psalm 42:1-2 / Psalm 73:25-26 / Psalm 84:10-11)
5. One day all our days will be unbridled delight in God. (Revelation 21:3-4 / Psalm 84:5)
More in Delighting in God
September 8, 2013The Essential Place of Prayer in Delighting in God
September 1, 2013Delighting in God in our Work
August 25, 2013How Then Shall We Play?